Back on May 14, I posted my “10 Fearless Predictions for This Coming Browns Season.” Since the season is pretty much over, I thought it would be fun to revisit them and see how good (or bad) I did.
Ready? Let’s fire up the Wayback Machine.
#1) Johnny Manziel is named starting QB at some point in the season, either due to injury or winning the QB competition outright, and the NFL flexes at least one Browns game into Sunday Prime Time.
I am going to say I got this half correct. Johnny Manziel was named starting QB, but the Browns were not flexed into Sunday Night Football.
2) The 2014 draft will produce four starters by season’s end: Joel Bitonio (who will start Game 1), Justin Gilbert, Terrance West and Johnny Manziel. And maybe even Christian Kirksey.
Got this one right. The 2014 draft produced 4 starters: Joel Bitonio, Terrance West, Johnny Manziel and Chris Kirksey. Ching!
3) Leon McFadden does not make the team, just a year after being taken in the third round. McFadden struggled mightily in 2013 and never seemed to be able to adapt to the speed of the game. If he makes the roster, I’ll be stunned.
Leon McFadden did not make the team. Cha-ching!
4) Three of these undrafted free agents will make the roster: QB Connor Shaw from South Carolina, RB Isaiah Crowell from Alabama State, WR Willie Snead from Ball State, WR Chandler Jones from San Jose State, or WR Jonathan Krause from Vanderbilt.
Well, I got this one almost half right. Isaiah Crowell made the team and Connor Shaw was signed to the practice squad. So, half right.
5) And with the inevitable addition of one or more WRs that get cut by other teams or the Browns trade for, Greg Little gets dropped. Pun intended.
Greg Little was cut. Cha-cha-ching!
6) Two players that were signed injured and never played, S Jamoris Slaughter and WR Charles Johnson, will finally take to the field in training camp. And then get hurt. And then get cut.
I got this one mostly right. Slaughter was cut and so was Johnson.
7) This will be Jordan Cameron’s last year in the Brown and Orange. Enjoy it.
TBD but I’m confident that I’m right.
8) Neither Ray Farmer nor Mike Pettine will be fired at the end of the season. Whoa! Now that IS a fearless prediction!
Also TBD, but I’m still confident that I’m right.
9) The losses will not enter into the double digits this season. Double whoa! Even fearless-er!
Right on this one! At the worst, there will be 9 losses, 7 wins. Cha-cha-cha-ching!
10) Josh Gordon will receive a suspension, but not for the entire 16-game season. I just can’t imagine the league banning the guy who led all receivers the previous season. (In receiving yards, not joints smoked.)
Right again. 10 game suspension. Cha-cha-cha-cha-ching!
Hey, I even surprised myself on this one, but I did pretty well. So far, 7 right, with two TBD.