I wanted to make some predictions for the upcoming season, but realized that I didn’t have a crystal ball. Instead, I used a clean glass filled with Great Lakes Dortmunder. Both produce the same results, right?
So, after gazing into my crystal clear glass of Dortmunder, here are my 10 fearless picks for this season.
1) Johnny Manziel is named starting QB at some point in the season, either due to injury or winning the QB competition outright, and the NFL flexes at least one Browns game into Sunday Prime Time.
2) The 2014 draft will produce four starters by season’s end: Joel Bitonio (who will start Game 1), Justin Gilbert, Terrance West and Johnny Manziel. And maybe even Christian Kirksey.
3) Leon McFadden does not make the team, just a year after being taken in the third round. McFadden struggled mightily in 2013 and never seemed to be able to adapt to the speed of the game. If he makes the roster, I’ll be stunned.
4) Three of these undrafted free agents will make the roster: QB Connor Shaw from South Carolina, RB Isaiah Crowell from Alabama State, WR Willie Snead from Ball State, WR Chandler Jones from San Jose State, or WR Jonathan Krause from Vanderbilt.
5) And with the inevitable addition of one or more WRs that get cut by other teams or the Browns trade for, Greg Little gets dropped. Pun intended.
6) Two players that were signed injured and never played, S Jamoris Slaughter and WR Charles Johnson, will finally take to the field in training camp. And then get hurt. And then get cut.
7) This will be Jordan Cameron’s last year in the Brown and Orange. Enjoy it.
8) Neither Ray Farmer nor Mike Pettine will be fired at the end of the season. Whoa! Now that IS a fearless prediction!
9) The losses will not enter into the double digits this season. Double whoa! Even fearless-er!
10) Josh Gordon will receive a suspension, but not for the entire 16-game season. I just can’t imagine the league banning the guy who led all receivers the previous season. (In receiving yards, not joints smoked.)
And there you have it – 10 fearless predictions from an average guy and rabid Browns fan who bleeds Brown and Orange.
We’ll revisit this topic around December 28th after the last game and see how well, or how poorly, our predictions turned out.